Thursday, April 15, 2004

Relationship vs. Rules . . .

Ok, so here's something that has taken me two days to digest and wrestle with.

Saul (before he was Paul) was often referred to as the "Pharisee of Pharisees", meaning he was the best at what he did. What he did was try to follow every rule, law & letter.

Acts 9:1&2
Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord's disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to "The Way", whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem.

He lived by trying to follow rules & not breaking rules.

Go down to Acts 9:6

So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do You want me to do?"
Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do."

Once the Lord revealed himself to Saul, Saul (soon to be Paul) didn't say what are your rules? What laws should I follow? What Laws should I enforce? He asked "What do you want me to do?".

He instantly wanted a relationship with God.

Since then Paul identifies himself as:

Romans 1:1
Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated to the gospel of God

Ephesians 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God

Galatians 1:1
Paul, an apostle (not from men nor through man, but through Jesus Christ and God the Father Who raised Him from the dead)

1 Corinthians 1:1
Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother

2 Corinthians 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother

(Seeing a pattern here?)

He does not identify with what he was. He does not claim to be a Pharisee, a Christian Hunter or a Hater of "The Way".

So why would we identify with anything less than being a Child of God? I'm not wretched (though I still choose to do wretched things sometimes). I'm NOT in bondage. I'm not a worthless sinner (though I do still choose to sin). I was dead in my trespasses and sin. But now, I am a chosen, called, loved, child of God. And, if you are a believer, so are you. Now go work on your relationship with God & quit trying to live by the law.

I Timothy 4:12

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home