Wednesday, April 20, 2005

A Story by my wife that made me look really good..LOL


I have to share a story with you, which may or may not help you
illustrate your point.

When Frank and I first met, we would go out country-western dancing
quite a bit. He was an excellent dancer and I, well, I was clueless.
However, because I desired to be with Frank, I chose to "learn" how to
dance and followed his lead as best I could. Now, as might come as a
complete surprise to you, I happen to have a problem with wanting to
control things all the time. A controlling dancer has a hard time
following the lead dancer. Frank is a very strong lead. For a long
time, he would tell me, "don't look at your feet, follow my lead."
"Don't look down, keep your eyes on me." "Don't look past me, look at
me." He would always do slight "pressure" signals when he was going to
turn, twirl me or change our direction. If I wasn't paying attention
and waiting for his lead, I'd stumble, goof up the timing or "cause" him
to let go of my me so we both wouldn't go crashing into another couple,
etc. But, he never gave up on me. His will was far stronger than mine
and he would remind me no matter how much I wanted to or tried to lead,
he was going to win out. When I stayed in step with him, we looked
pretty good and he made me look like a fantastic dancer...though it was
really his strong lead, experience and ability that made me look good.
I was just following his lead. If I overthought it, looked elsewhere or
tried to take the lead, we'd look horrible.

And, it is kinda funny. After I got in sync with Frank, I couldn't
dance with any other guy. Frank had a good friend who would come along
with us a lot. After I seemed to be getting the gist of this dancing
thing, Frank's friend would want to cut in and whisk me around the dance
floor. It was awful. He wasn't Frank. I would muddle around the
dancefloor with this guy and try to follow his lead. I couldn't wait to
get back with Frank. We were in sync. No one else compared. Maybe it
was because I wasn't a really good dancer and Frank just was.

When Christ is leading me, it is wonderful. When I try to take
control...everything falls apart. I've learned this lesson mostly the
hard way. And, I cannot say I've mastered the desire to be in
control...but I'm very sensitive to when I want to be in control and
confess that...asking Christ to take the lead again. And you know, He
is always there, ready, willing and able to take the lead again.
She is always so good at analogies..LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home